Category Archives: NEWS

Photos: Kwaw Kese, Hammer, others @ “Who Killed Fennec” candle lit protest

Kwaw Kese is still recovering from his manager’s demise. The rapper marking the one year anniversary after Fennec Okyere’s murder held a small vigil with his close buddies including Hammer of The Last Two to remember the passing.

YFMGhana.com has been told the silent march was attended by 60 people and happened around Afrikiko in Accra.

The crowd of six wanted to know who killed Fennec and needing answers.

Black Sharks leave for Uganda

Black Sharks2The national beach soccer team, the Black Sharks have finally departed Accra to Uganda for the final qualifier of the 2015 AFCON beach soccer tournament.

A contingent of eleven, made up of 8 players, the coach, his assistant and the protocol officer will arrive in the city of Entebbe for the biggest match in both countries’ relatively short beach soccer history.

It will be recalled that the Black Sharks of Ghana by virtue of breaking through the top ten of the African beach soccer rankings, were seeded to play against Cameroon and Uganda.

The Cameroonians withdrew, leaving Ghana and Uganda to contest for the AFCON slot.

The original contingent of 19 players and officials had to be pruned down to 11 due to lack of funds.

Meanwhile, those who had to be sacrificed for the Uganda trip were Beach Soccer Ghana President, the team coordinator, one media officer and five players including the second choice goalkeeper.

This is the second time in as many weeks that the Black Sharks have faced such difficulties.

The team was first assembled in 2013 for a tournament in Morocco but has since rapidly risen from 83rd on the FIFA rankings to 69th (February 2015). The Sharks are also rated as the 7th best beach soccer team on the continent.

Ironically Ghana does not enjoy the same support from their football association (GFA) as other countries like Senegal, Ivory Coast and Nigeria who are all largely funded by their respective associations.

The president of the GFA Mr. Kwasi Nyantakyi has explained that this is because Beach Soccer Ghana would first have to write to them for affiliation.

The Black Sharks will have only 2hrs preparation time when they land before their match with the Sand Cranes of Uganda in Entebbe.

The Sand Cranes have been in camp for over two months and are confident of causing an upset over their more experienced counterparts to qualify.

Ghana will host Uganda on Sunday the 22nd of March with the winner over the two legs qualifying for the maiden beach soccer AFCON, Seychelles 2015.

Student stabs colleague with broken bottles

Ghana Police LogoA form two student of Ejuraman Senior High School in the Ashanti Region has been stabbed with a broken bottle by a classmate.

The incident happened in a forest close to the school where the students, according to the headmaster of the school, had gone to ‘gamble or pluck a mango.’

A student in the school, Yaa Akyaa, confirmed to Adom News that the incident occurred around 2:00 PM on Friday, and the student who reportedly stabbed the colleague had absconded thus creating fear among the students.

However, the headmaster of the school, Mr. Govee Wuledey, denied claims that the student had absconded, indicating that the two students at the centre of the conflict had all been found.

One who was stabbed in the stomach, according to him, had been sent to the theatre, treated and he is currently on admission.

Another who was stabbed in the back had also been treated and discharged.

The Ejura police, he said, is investigating the matter.

He, however, called on the Ghana Education Service to come to the aid of the school and help fence it.

Armed robbers burn victim to death

Crime Scene Yellow TapeA 32-year-old man in Opare Kurom in Nsawam in the Eastern Region was burnt to death by armed robbers who attacked his residence in the early hours of Saturday.

Clifford Gawu, and eyewitnesses, told Adom News, the victim was attacked by the unidentified robbers this dawn while he slept.

The robbers after bolting with his vehicle, then locked him up in a room and set fire to the house.

Terror attack in Ghana a hoax — Police

IGP Alhassan Full GownThe Ghana Police Service has dismissed rumours of an imminent terror attack in Ghana following an alleged invasion of the country by some 70 Nigerians who were carrying bombs on them.

The police were reacting to a hoax text which had been widely published on social media.

The text message read “the information reaching our ministry, just now is that 73 Nigerians arrived in Ghana with fake travelling passports claiming to be Ghanaians, two were caught, but 71 escaped and after screening the two that were caught, they found out they were having bomb on them (Sic).”

The message further appealed to the whole country to be aware of strangers and also avoid overcrowding.

Additionally, the text claimed that “we are seriously into an investigation to find out where exactly those people might be hiding because we heard they have already attacked a mall village near Danyi, near Greater Accra Region. We are therefore informing the public to inform us immediately you get any information about these people. Inform us through our police number 999. House owners, hotel managers and other institutions should, therefore, inform the police as soon as possible when there is any doubt.”

The message, which was signed by Inspector Dan K.J. Amsah, also urged recipients to forward it to their loved ones.

The Public Relation Officer of the Ghana Police Service, Superintendent of Police, Cephas Arthur, confirmed that the message was a “definite hoax”, saying “it’s an attempt to cause fear and panic in the country. We are safe.”

He identified some loopholes in the text message such as the police emergency number which was written as 999.

But Mr Arthur said “the Police emergency number was not 999 but 911.”

He also indicated that since the message failed to state which ministry had issued it, the message had “no credible source.”

Such rumours are not uncommon. The only thing that gives the recent message any credence is the rate at which people were re-tweeting and circulating them on other social media platforms.

Sources close to the Police Administration and National Security have indicated that investigations were ongoing.

‘The true culprit was not Woyome’

Woyome Alfred FingerAnti-corruption crusader, Sydney Casely-Hayford has said businessman Alfred Woyome was not the true culprit in the criminal case brought against him in the GHC 51 million judgement debt saga.

He observed that the real culprits who should have been made to stand trial were the state officials including the then Attorney General, Betty Mould Iddrisu, current Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Ebo Barton Oduro and some directors who were earlier indicted in the case.

“We tried to charge the wrong person. The culprit in this whole case was not Alfred Woyome,” he said on Citi FM’s news analysis programme, The Big Issue.

“I think the right persons who should have been charged in all of this was Betty Mould, Barton Oduro, all the other affiliates…they were the true culprits in all of this,” he added.

An Accra High court presided over by Justice Ajet-Nasam on Thursday acquitted and discharged Woyome on the two counts of causing financial loss to the state and defrauding by false pretense.

The Judge however queried the state prosecutors for not bringing in key witnesses to testify during the hearing of the case.

The Attorney General has nonetheless submitted a notice of appeal against the acquittal of businessman Alfred Woyome describing the ruling of the judge as biased and unlawful.

But according to Casely-Hayford who is also a Financial Analyst, Woyome’s GHC 51 million judgement debt case had already been decided by the Supreme Court which had ordered the refund of the money “and he was going to refund the money so whether we jailed him or not for fraud is a separate matter.”

He expressed grave disappointment over the “wasted two years of our lives and the tax payers’ money by coming up with a complete frivolous end result. Me; I am terribly disappointed.”

Casely-Hayford cautioned that critical attention must be paid to “what the Judge said, look at all the comments that he made and use that as an advice to go forward.”

He argued that the principal thing which caused the state to lose the case was can largely be attributed to the failure of the nation to separate the Minister of Justice from the Attorney General’s Department.

This, he said made it difficult for the Attorney General “to rope in the Ministers who were directly involved or to charge them separately from this case in order to be able to bring justice.”

UCC shocked over aspiring SRC Prez’s leaked nude videos

Abena Korkor RC Prez Candidate NewThere is uneasy calm at the campus of the Cape Coast University in the Central region following some leaked nude videos of a President-aspirant of the Students Representative Council (SRC).

The lady, Nana Abena Korkor Addo, is a third-year student seeking to be SRC president of the public university with her campaign posters all over campus.

However, the leaked videos which are in the possession of StarrFMonline.com appear to have disrupted her campaign as students are rather discussing the content of the bizarre videos. The videos, three in all, show Korkor Addo in a strip tease in her room.

It is unclear who recorded or leaked the videos but her conduct in the footage appears to indicate that she was aware she was being recorded.

Her family is reportedly traumatised over the development.

Improve local rice to reduce imports; MoFA urged

Rice PlantGhanaian rice farmers have called on the Ministry of Food and Agriculture to find ways to improve quality of local rice to encourage and ensure its consumption and reduce the import of the cereal in to the country.

Yahaya Nuhum, a rice farmer, in an interview with Times Business on the sidelines of the Local Rice Bazaar held yesterday argued that improved local rice would encourage more consumption and encourage farmers to cultivate more.

“A boost in production and improvement in the packaging of the local rice would encourage increase domestic patronage, thereby reducing the importation of rice,” he said

The local rice Bazaar was organised by Tuma-Lana, a local organisation with the support of SNV, a Dutch Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) and was meant to encourage the consumption of locally produced rice.

The bazaar which was under SNV’s funded project dubbed “Rice farmers can feed West Africa project’ had high patronage by residents of Tamale and its surrounding communities and organisations.

SNV is promoting local rice production and consumption by engaging farmers and other stakeholders in the rice sector value chain.

Rice imports

It is estimated that Ghana imports between US$200 million and US$400 million worth of rice annually.

The amount is said to be one of the major factors that swells the country’s import bill, while putting pressure on the local cedi which is consistently losing value against the United States’ dollar.

Due to the high demand for the cereal, particularly the perfumed brand, many business people have found rice imports a lucrative venture and are importing from all sources around the world.

On the other hand, the government has also found it an easy source to make some revenue and has since 2010, reintroduced taxes on the importation of rice. The move has not only made the importation of rice and its sale to the people more expensive but has also created the platform for people to smuggle the cereal into the country.

According to Food Security Ghana, two of the major motivators for smuggling rice are the high import tariffs and, more importantly, the high differences between neighbouring countries’ duties and taxes.

It said in the rice sector, a gap of 24.5 per cent exists between import duties as compared to Ghana’s 37 per cent and Ivory Coast’s 12.5 per cent, leading to massive smuggling on Ghana’s western border.

Mr. Abdul-Jalil Zakaria, Rice Project Coordinator of SNV said the rice bazaar was geared towards behavioural change and whipping up the interest of consumers towards local rice.

He was of the conviction that the country could reduce the huge import of rice into the country if innovative ways were found to make it more attractive to consumers.

According to him, SNV initiated the rice project to increase production, promote consumption and increase the quality of the grain for the market.

Mr. Zakaria said the bazaar was in response to the need to draw the attention of consumers that Ghana rice had come of age and that the negative attributes of local rice were a thing of the past.

I’m under pressure to marry – Fresh Prince

Fresh Prince 4x4Since Captain Planet got married in June last year, Fresh Prince, the only bachelor in the 4×4 hiplife trio says he has been contemplating marrying too but the “consistent pressure from my elder brothers is making me uneasy”.

Lead singer, Fresh Prince, told Showbiz last Monday, “sometimes I think about marriage too. Besides, it’s not a bad decision to get married, but the truth is that, I’m still young and feel it’s important that I concentrate on my career. I believe when the time is ripe, I will also be a ‘ husband,” he said.

In his early thirties, Fresh Prince, who is currently dating, acknowledged that he respects the institution of marriage and as such, he would not want to rush into it and regret the decision later.

Fresh Prince officially joined the 4X4 group in 2008 when he was ‘featured on the popular ‘Hot Girls dot com’ song the previous year. He described that feeling as awesome and reward for his hard work.

He, however disputed the perception that his later inclusion in the group has helped the group’s survival till date.

“I don’t even want to comment on this issue because personally, it’s just a distraction from our common goal as a group. Besides, before I joined the group, 4×4 had made their name already. Yes, I may have played some important roles like being the lead singer but that is my field.

“We all have our strong points, Captain Planet does the singing, and Coded is more comfortable with the raga. I can’t do what both of them do. It’s teamwork, and we all play our part well to ensure that a good job is done. I don’t want to glorify such sayings at all,” he stated.

The former student of Adisadel College described his journey with 4×4 as the best days of his life and a dream come true since it was a group he had always admired from afar.

He said even though the group has chalked many successes in its more than ten years of existence, they wouldn’t relent on their efforts to remain relevant on the music radar.

Prince Tamakloe is his real name, and he is a sound engineer and songwriter.

“I believe I’m a handsome guy who feels comfortable in his skin”, was his explanation for the name, Fresh Prince when he was asked.

He said the group is currently working hard to get more laurels in their field of endeavor and their recent songs, Baby Dance and Roses, which are receiving massive airplay, are evidence of another “new beginning”.

He allayed the fears of their fans that 4X4 may follow in the path of other groups which have split up in the past.

“I have no fear that the group will split up. Like my senior brothers, Captain Planet always says, no one is above the group. The group’s interest comes first before any other personal ambitions. We respect one another and very passionate about what we do as a group,” he stated.